ABOUT WOMEN’S ECONOMIC JUSTICE PROJECT (WEJ) IN LUWEERO DISTRICT.
The Women’s Economic Justice project (WEJ) 2015- 2018 is implemented within 13 sub counties of Luweero District in partnership with the Eastern African Sub-regional Support Initiative for the Advancement of Women (EASSI), Uganda Association of Women Lawyers (FIDA) and National Association of Women Organizations of Uganda (NAWOU). The initiative is supported by Forum for Women and Development (FOKUS) a Norwegian organization and Kavli Foundation. The main objective of the project is to promote economic justice for women through access to market opportunities.
EASSI’s Role is to ensure that women actively participate and benefit from the National markets and East African Common Market.
OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
- Improved access to market information and resources for sustainable livelihoods.
- Increased income for women, families and communities.
- Increased engagement of women in policy issues at local, national and regional levels.
KEY PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- Value Addition on the women’s products in order to compete favorably on the national and regional markets.
- Research on available and potential national and regional market opportunities for women in Luweero district, Uganda.
- Capacity building for women groups on the East African Community market standards, value addition and marketing.
- Providing market and business linkages at the grassroots, national and regional levels to women products in Luweero district.
- Ensuring access to reliable information on existing and potential markets, required standards and opportunities from women groups through the established Women’s Information and Resource Center.
- Organizing women to participate in the Annual Women’s Trade Fair and other national and regional trade fairs organized by reputable companies and organisations.
KEY PROJECT ACHIEVEMENTS
Mentorship for women groups in juice and wine production..
- Increased market linkages for women products within Luweero District and beyond.
- Established Women Information and Marketing Center for marketing and value addition.
- Vibrant Women Multipurpose Cooperative Society Limited (LUWOMCO) that has promoted collective marketing and networking among women in Luweero District.
- Organized successful Annual Women’s Trade Fair.
- Enhanced capacity for women to engage with leaders, market their businesses and trade favorably on markets.
Improved women’s products through value addition.
EASSI Project office is located at Agali awamu Kasaali SACCO building in Luweero Town Council along Kampala – Gulu highway next to Dawson Petrol station.
LINKAGE TO EASSI STRATEGIC PLAN AND LEGAL FRAMEWORKS
The Women’s Economic Justice Project speaks to Gender and economic Development Strategic Objective under EASSI strategic plan.
The project seeks to achieve goal 5 of Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals which is important in achieving the other 16 goals. It is in line with the Beijing Platform for Action, Maputo Protocol and the Treaty for the Establishment of the East African Community.