About the WEJ Luweero Project
The Eastern African Sub-regional Support Initiative for the Advancement of Women, EASSI in partnership with Uganda Association of Women Lawyers, FIDA and National Association of Women Organizations of Uganda, NAWOU implemented a four year project in Luweero District, Uganda, entitled, “The Women’s Economic Justice project (WEJ)”. The project was implemented with 22 women’s groups in all the 13 subcounties of Luweero District. The initiative was supported by the Forum for Women and Development, FOKUS, a Norwegian organization.
Promoting economic justice for women through access to market opportunities.
- Improved access to market information and resources for sustainable livelihoods.
- Increased income for women, families and communities.
- Increased engagement of women in policy issues at local, national and regional levels.
Key project activities
- Research available market opportunities for women in Luweero district, Uganda.
- Capacity building for women groups on standards and market linkages at national and regional levels.
- Providing market linkages to women groups in Luweero district.
- Ensuring access to reliable information on existing markets, required standards and opportunities fro women groups through EASSI information and resource centers.
- Annual Women’s Trade Fair.
Location of EASSI office in Luweero district, Uganda
Agali awamu Kasaali SACCO building, located in Luweero town council along the Kampala-Gulu highway, next to Dawson Petrol Station.
LUWEERO COOPERATIVES CREATED BY EASSI.
Luweero Women Multi-Purpose Cooperative Society Limited, LUWOMCO
Located at Agali awamu Kasaali SACCO building, in Luweero town council, along Kampala-Gulu highway, next to Dawson Petrol Station.
Luweero Women Multi-purpose Cooperative Society was formed in May 2016 to unite women groups in Luweero district. The cooperative enables its members to come together and engage in marketing of their products at competitive prices. The members also pool funds (savings) so that they can access easy and affordable loans for their welfare.
To be a self-sustaining cooperative that promotes the development of its members.
To collectively market women’s products and mobilize funds to improve members’ welfare.
- Promote a saving culture among women traders and farmers.
- Buy and sell members’ products at competitive prices.
- Link women traders to national, regional and international markets.
- Build capacity of members to help them market their products.
LUWOMCO is a fully registered cooperative under the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives, with registration number P7376/RCS
- Improved access to better markets at the national, regional and international level.
- Increased income for women, their families and communities.
- Effective collective action to improve economic self-reliance among women.
- Beans (Retail and Bulk)
- Beaded items
- Wheat flour
- Fresh produce (tomatoes, onions, bananas, e.t.c)
- Cassava, potatoes, and so much more
- Membership is open to Luweero women traders and farmers.
- Requirements for a member to join;
- Payment of membership fee UGX. 10,000/=.
- Payment of annual subscription UGX. 5,000/=.
- Purchasing of shares @UGX. 20,000/=.
WE ARE DETERMINED TO EXCEL!